Sunday, February 27, 2005

Syrian Medical Care

My dad had knee replacement surgery yesterday; I wasn't able to talk to him this past week, unfortunately, because he wasn't able to get through when he tried my mobile and my landline, and I wasn't able to call out to the US. I was rather sad and a little on edge about his surgery and the fact that I'm not in Pittsburgh to be with my mom and brother when my dad has surgery. His surgery went well and he's now resting up in a hospital room with a view. I'm looking forward to his recovery and to when he can, inshallah, visit me in Syria.

Today I decided to go see a doctor because I've had a sore throat and have been feeling dizzy for the past week and, who knows, it could be strep, it could be something else. Best to find out. A few friends recommended a clinic that is open 24/7, one where the doctors speak English. The place was nice and sort of modern, kind of like something from an early 90s tv show. It was definitely cleaner than any other place I've seen in Syria but still lacked some of the sterility I'm used to in doctor's offices: the paint on the cabinets was peeling a bit, the ceiling tiles were a little beaten up, things like that. My doctor seemed a little amused I had come in for a sore throat and, after looking at it declared 'You have a sore throat'. Seriously. He did order a swab test done, though, and after determining I didn't have a bacterial infection, I came out of the office thirty dollars poorer and with a bag full of Syrian medicine. It was, overall, a fine experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home