Monday, May 01, 2006

Yes, There Are Nice People Here

I might not like Doha but I have met some really nice people here. I feel fortunate that, despite living in a city I don't quite like, I do have some lovely friends here. Some of them even live in my building.

I don't have a car at the moment because i've stopped renting one. I am going to buy one, and I even went to the dealership this weekend to finally get the one I want, but they don't have the color I'd like in stock. A guy in my building often gives me a ride to work (and sometimes even a ride back). A few weeks ago we were driving through the gate to work when he turned to me and said, 'You know, if I'm going to be giving you a ride into work more often... (I didn't think he was going to say something about gas money, because that's not like him, but somehow this didn't sound like the beginning of a sentence that was going to end well)...should I make you a cup of coffee in the morning as well?'

Yeah, that wasn't how I had been expecting that sentence to end. I was quite surprised. And promptly said yes. And now when I get a ride to work with him in the mornings he makes me coffee. And he plays good music in the car. Really, it's not an incentive for me to buy a car.

It's a unexpected and great surprise to find someone who's nice enough to make you coffee in the morning and is just a nice person. He's not my only friend, but having just come back from his flat, where he played the opening sequence of a Western movie he really likes for me, I had a moment where I thought about how having friends like him makes living in Doha worthwhile.

1 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so lucky; I catch a shuttle bus to work and when I leave home, the coffee shops are not even open. They open at 7:00 a.m. and then there is usually a line...........If I get to the coffee shop at 7:00 a.m., by the time my coffee is made, it's at least 15 minutes wait.
Consider yourself a person to be envied!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home