Sunday, January 15, 2006

Thursday Night Barbeque

My next door neighbor, a nice fellow named Guy, organized a barbeque on our rooftop patio Thursday night. All of us who live in the building - me, Guy, Tom, Julian, Hannah, and Casey brought drinks and food and we set up everything around the pool, stopping briefly to gaze out over the city at the Eid fireworks and marvel at how lucky we were to be there.

It was one of those parties where everything seemed to be just right. It was a clear night, the food was good, we had plenty of drinks, a lot of people showed up, and we had really organized everything well. We even had an enormous fruit platter for dessert. I talked with some people I hadn't spent much time with during my first week at the office and met some people who had just returned from their holidays. Casey nipped downstairs for a while and returned munching on an apple. He approached me as I was talking to a few people as asked, 'Want a bite?' I took one. Strange, but why not?

After quite a few drinks and quite a few hours, people started to leave and Guy, Tom, Hannah, and I, were left standing around the pool talking. Tom started talking about how fantastic it is that we have a pool and all of a sudden said, 'Let's jump in the pool!' I said no. Hannah said she would if he did, so he jumped in, surfaced, and started yelling as he splashed around, 'We have a pool! *We* have a pool!' He waited expectantly for Hannah to jump int. She didn't, not surprisingly, as it had cooled down quite a bit. So Tom jumped out and pushed her in.

He then tried to convince me to jump in. I again refused, and it was just too obvious what was going to happen. He got out of the pool, slung me over his shoulder, and headed for the pool. 'Tom! My phone, my phone! It's in my pocket!' I yelled. He reached into my pocket, fished it out, and then chucked me in, clothes, shoes, and all. At that point Guy jumped in. Yes, we have a pool!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home