Thursday, December 22, 2005

Slumped Over Various Random Items

I'm really exhuasted. I'm not necessarily tired, but I'm ready for a good day in which I'm not running around trying to meet someone, buy some random item, or pick up my ticket/passport photos/etc.

I packed up some boxes for shipping today. I'm shipping some random stuff. While packing things this morning I found myself slumped over a strange collection of items: a tea strainer, a pink satin skirt, a travel Scrabble set, and egg cups. Yesterday I bought two lovely striped egg cups. I happen to like boiled eggs and an egg cup is rather dandy for keeping those balanced for easy eating. I don't know how readily available they'll be in Qatar. I remember spending several weekends dragging Cara around looking for one in Atlanta; I didn't want to repeat that, although I imagine wandering around the souk asking where to find an egg cup would be quite an adventure.

I've had a good past week. I got together with some friends for going-away drinks at my favorite pub, saw a great play, and have been meeting up with friends. One of my friends got quite sad the other night when we got dinner. I didn't know what to say.

This morning while I was packing I got the urge to cry but didn't. That's unusual. Lately I've been bursting into tears when I hear the Dixie Chicks' 'Wide Open Spaces' or Death Cab for Cutie's 'Transatlanticism'. Because of this, I'm looking forward to leaving. I need to not be saying goodbye anymore. I need to not be looking around and wondering when I'll see dear gray England again. I need to just be on a plane.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home