Tuesday, March 22, 2005

More on the Support Rally

I've had a few comments regarding the support rally and am really grateful for the explanations and comments. Someone pointed out to me that "the black flag you saw is that of the Syrian Social National Party (SSNP) which was recently allowed to operate in Syria. The design in the middle is the Red Hurricane, the Party's famous symbol"; someone else explained some background on the rally.

I'm spending my time here trying to learn Arabic and find out as much as I can about Syrian culture. It's difficult to immerse oneself in a culture (even when living in it) when one doesn't know the language, so attempting learn about both in tandem is a challenge. The experiences I write about are really my own as a student, guest, and tourist here so they can be pretty limited.

1 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, Blogger pstpst said...

Hey good luck with the arabic thing, you did choose a hard language but living in the midst of syrians you'll not only learn it easier but you will aquire a somewhat gentler arab dialect LOL. i am half syrian living in kuwait all my life(spend summers in syria)and till now when they speak to me in Kuwaitie dialect I think they are swearing at me.
am a student of law and interested in a n MA in public international law so there si somethig in commen and believe me i myself need explaining about whats going on in syria and all over, aggrivates me so much sometimes i have no idea why i want public international law, but then again ti doesn't involve only politics. As for you getting sick man stay away from tap water even if the ppl are telling you its the purest you'll ever drink. also the green veggies make you sick if not washed properly so in restaurants try to stay away from salads LOL hygien not a praiority, although the govemrent sometimes by law prohioibits retairants to use green salad or parsly at times some wird seasonal thing or somthing I have no idea all I know sometimes they are there in the salad and sometimes they are not. goodluck

 

Post a Comment

<< Home