Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I Dream of Bacon

Because I'm going through some medical treatment, I've been on a low-iodine diet for almost two weeks. It's generally not too bad, although I wouldn't want to be on it for a long time. Things I'm restricted from eating include: dairy products, seafood, most types of beans, soy products, seaweed, chocolate, anything made with iodized or sea salt, bacon, egg yolks, and certain food dyes. It's amazing how many foods contain these ingredients. Salt is in practically every cracker out there except for matzo, and matzo only comes in those massive boxes (I guess matzo companies know they have a captive market).

I'm so strict about keeping to this diet because I know that, in order for my treatment to work effectively, I have to be strict about it. It's penetrated my dreams, though. Monday I had a dream I was at a restaurant for a birthday party for a guy I knew in college. I forget his name, but he fronted a band called the Jimmy Carter Experience and sometimes showed up to gigs wearing a gold lame shirt. The weird part of the dream was not that, after not having seen or spoken to this guy for over a decade, I was at this his birthday party. No. The weird part was that I ordered some fries and and the waiter came over and dipped them in ketchup for me and lined the perfectly condimented fries up for me on my plate. My mouth watered.

That's when I woke up. I literally just sat up in my sleep and then woke up in a panic. That had never happened to me before. It was six in the morning and I couldn't get back to sleep. How could I? I couldn't eat ketchup, not even in my dreams.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home