Tuesday, September 20, 2005

In Which Our Heroine Remains Single

For the past few days I had been thinking perhaps I was dating someone, which is one of those tricky things. My brother came into town on Saturday and I was mulling over telling him that perhaps there was someone, but I refrained, wanting to wait until I knew in a shouting it from rooftops sort of way.

Then today, the day I was supposed to go out with said possibility, he cancelled. In itself, it is not such a big deal, but in the greater scheme of things, was the event that started today's decline into lousiness. I started thinking that, looking back on our interactions, that perhaps he doesn't like me as much I thought and that, whatever we have, it's not a relationship. I then started thinking about how much I wish I were doing something even remotely connected to my skills, how I'm 28 and single and surrounded by friends but still terribly lonely, and how some days I'm entirely convinced my life would be much easier if I were taller, blonde, and white. It's entirely easy to say you're comfortable with who you are, but when you're stuck in perma-singleville and can't buy pants that fit because they're all too long, sometimes it's lovely to think about how life might be easier.

Experiencing a shortage of appropriate length pants is not tragic but being stuck certainly is. I reached a point today when I thought 'London, Doha, DC, who cares? Is my life really going to be so different wherever I go?' Here I am in London feeling exactly as I did in Atlanta: underemployed and mad that I'm not ever in a relationship.

1 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, Blogger . said...

I'm 5'10", blonde, and white, and still stuck being single. Trust me, it doesn't make a difference.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home