Thursday, May 05, 2005

A Very High Fidelity Moment

Last night I went to a friend's birthday party at her house in the Old City. I was one of the first guests to arrive, so I was checking out the house, a beautifully restored courtyard house, when three guys I didn't know walked in. It turns out they're visiting. I've been in the mood to meet new people recently so I talked to two of them (the third wasn't feeling fantastic, so he was resting for a a good majority of the party) for a long time. One of them, a Brit, in addition to be a big broccoli fan like me, turned out to be a music fanatic. In typical music geek style, we were talking about our iPods, the iTunes store, and rediscovering music from our childhoods. Then, suddenly, he asked me the one question I always want people to ask me but they never do, which is 'What's the last song you listened to?'

I made a face, because, of course, after years of waiting, I had to admit to listening to something that I didn't want to be his first impression, musically, of me. I told him that the last song I had listened to was Kylie Minogue, probably I Believe in You.

Like Rob Fleming, the protagonist in High Fidelity, I'm obsessed with music. I love listening to it. In London, I had soundtracks for taking the underground, studying, cooking, and chilling out. I've always got a song in my head; my life has a soundtrack. I'm the girl who plans the perfect mix. I stay up too late because I can't stop listening to music. And there I was, having to admit that the last song I listened to was Kylie Minogue. I really wanted it to be something fantastically cool, like the Postal Service or Outkast.

Maybe next time.

1 Comments:

At 5:36 AM, Blogger Dr.Moi said...

I'm so glad you are enjoying the Postal Service. I am really into them right now and like their stuff more than any of the Deathcab stuff...Anyway, I just wanted to share b/c I don't run into too many ppl who are into them. God, I feel like such a teenage girl right now.

Hope you're doing well :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home