Wednesday, April 27, 2005

I'm Worth How Many Camels?

I’m Worth How Many Camels?

In my quest to explore more of Syria, about a week and a half ago two German friends and I headed off to Deir-E-Zur, in the Eastern part of Syria. Because the bus ride there takes about five or six hours from Damascus, the bus stopped at a rest stop in Palmyra for twenty minutes so we could have a bit of a break.

I went into the rest stop to buy some water and immediately was met by a man who wanted me and my friends to stay at his hotel in Palmyra. He kept talking to me in English and I kept responding that, no, my friends and I didn’t need a hotel because we were traveling on to Deir-E-Zur. He said I speak Arabic well, so he kept talking to me and asked me how I like Syria. I told him that it’s great, that the people here are really nice. To this he said, ‘Great! You should stay here. I can set you up with a nice Bedouin who will give you 1000 camels, you can live near Palmyra!’ I hastily told him that I’m married and slipped away to get some water. So there you have it. Apparently I’m worth 1000 camels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home